Online Now   |   Messages   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Register
Hong Kong Baptist University

Welcome to the Hinich Foundation’s Orientation page for all Global Trade Leaders attending Hong Kong Baptist University.

On the left sidebar you find a list of informational resources related to student life in Hong Kong. These have been created by our current scholars to better prepare you for your arrival and ensure the smoothest transition when you start university.

Have a great first semester and congratulations again on being chosen for the Hinirich Global Leadership Program!

Pre-arrival – Before you get to school

Online application

After you have sign the MoU with Hinrich Foundation, the first important thing you have to do is filling up the online application at and then sending application number by email to Department of Journalism. Make sure to save a copy of your online application form after you finished the filling for later reference.

Official transcript(s) for the qualification(s)

After receiving Acceptance letter from Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) for your admission to the program, you will be asked to send Official transcript(s) for the qualification(s) of your previous education (bachelor program). It will be better to prepare this before hand to avoid the long-taking process, requesting your previous university to certify your transcript(s) and seal in an envelope with an official chop affixed to it.

Additional payment(s)

Any additional payments during the application process will be covered by the scholarship, you might need to pay in advance but they will be reimbursed later on.

Visa application for South East Asians

Visa application will be handled by HKBU, all you need to do is filling in the Additional Information for Student Visa Application form as below and send to HKBU along with a copy of your Passport. It will normally take around 6-8 weeks for the Immigration Department to finish the process before sending the visa to you by post.


Hinrich scholars will reside in NTT International House during the program. All you need to do is submitting the NTT Application Form to the Department as soon as possible in order to confirm your place.

Flight ticket

You can book the flight ticket for yourself and get the reimbursement later when you are in Hong Kong. Another way is requesting the coordinator at Journalism Department to book the ticket for you. Do not forget to leave your return date open, because you never know exactly when you will finish all the classes and exams.

Before take-off

Make sure you have made copies of all related documents in both hard and soft copies (including all confirmation documents of your applications (program/ accommodation/ visa…) and personal identities (passport/ your id in home country as you might need it later for banking process).

In terms of packing, you should bring along the below items

  • Enough money to spend for the first month, in case there is any problem with your stipend (minimum 500 US$ as a suggestion).
  • Enough cool and warm clothes (one or two extra warm coats for study trip to Europe)
  • A suit and tie (as for males) for formal occasions.
  • One pair of sport shoes for daily use and one pair of formal shoes for special use.
  • Some studying tools (notebooks, pens…) or you can buy more later.
  • Some instant foods in case you cannot find your proper food in the first period.
  • Some quick medications (first-aid, fever, headache, digestion…).
  • Anything else depends on your demand.

Arrival : Getting from the airport, ID Cards and Banking

The most convenient and cheapest way to go to HKBU from the airport is by using Citybus. Ask the Information Desk or follow the signs to get to the Airport Bus Centre (Ground Transportation Centre). The bus number that take you straight to HKBU is E22 heading to Lam Tin (North). Before you board the bus, buy an Octopus card, recharge if you already have one or prepare exactly 18 HK$ in notes and/or coins (as the bus driver will not give you the changes). Below is the E22 route:

  1. AsiaWorld-Expo
  2. Airport (Ground Transportation Centre)
  3. Cathay City, Chun Ming Road
  4. Chek Lap Kok Fire Station, Catering Road East
  5. Cathay Pacific Catering Services, Catering Road East
  6. Chun Wan Road South, Chun Wan Road
  7. Air Freight Forwarding Centre, Chun Wan Road
  8. Asia Airfreight Terminal, Chun Ping Road
  9. Chek Lap Kok South Road
  10. Tung Chung Cable Car Terminal, Tat Tung Road
  11. Citygate, Tat Tung Road
  12. Yu Tung Court, Shun Tung Road
  13. Lantau Link Toll Plaza
  14. Chak Yan Centre, Cornwall Street
  15. Shek Kip Mei Park, Cornwall Street
  16. Ede Road, Cornwall Street
  17. Kam Shing Road, Junction Road (HKBU)

After you have arrived at HKBU bus-stop, find your way to NTT International House which locates at the new Campus on the eastern side of Junction Road from this bus-stop (see the big building on the right in this image for reference.

Classes: Course preparation and reviews

International Journalism

For students of International Journalism Concentration, students must complete 4 core subjects and 5 electives for the award of an MA degree.

Semester 1

Core Subjects

  • JOUR International Relations Theory and Practice
  • JOUR Introduction to Comparative & International News
  • JOUR Newsgathering for International Practice 1
  • JOUR Advanced English for International Journalism


  • JOUR Current Issues & Case Studies in International News
  • JOUR International News Translation
  • JOUR News Production Workshop
  • COMM Issues in Corporation Communications
  • COMM Organizational Communication
  • COMM Media Law and Ethics
  • COMM Issues and cases in Mass Communication
  • COMM New Media Workshop
  • COMM Advertising Management
  • COMM Media Economics
  • COMM Strategic Public Relations & Crisis Management
  • COMM Consumer Insight

Semester 2

Core Subjects

  • JOUR International News Laboratory


  • JOUR Research Methods in Media & Communication
  • JOUR English Newsgathering for International Practice II
  • JOUR Reporting International Conflict
  • JOUR International Business & Financial Reporting
  • JOUR Project or Dissertation
  • JOUR Globalization, Economics & Finance
  • JOUR Writing for Business News II
  • JOUR Long – form Journalism
  • JOUR Photo journalism
  • COMM Issues in Intercultural Communication
  • COMM Media and Communication in Chinese Societies
  • COMM Communication Campaign Workshop
  • COMM New Media Workshop
  • COMM Writing for Multimedia in Public Relations
  • COMM Strategic Public Relations & Crisis Management
  • COMM International Advertising
  • COMM Public Administration & the Media
  • COMM Advertising in China
  • COMM Political Communication & Public Opinion

Core Course Description

JOUR International Relations Theory and Practice

  • Instructor: Mr Victor FUNG
  • This subject aims to investigate the various theoretical and analytical frameworks in the field of international relations.

JOUR Introduction to Comparative & International News

  • Instructor: Dr Judith CLARKE
  • This course introduces various forms of national news media systems that have developed at different times and in different locations round the world to enable students to compare and reassess their own news media. Theories and concepts devised to explain and categorize why news media systems have developed differently in different nations will be analyzed and studies in the context of comparing real examples.

JOUR Newsgathering for International News I

  • Instructor: Mr Peter ENG
  • This course introduces students to the professional practices of reporting and producing news items for international news media. Students will examine news stories produced for global consumption and learn how international news production differs from local and domestic news production.

JOUR Advanced English for International Journalism

  • Instructor: Ms Robin EWING
  • This course teaches advanced English-language skills to students planning to enter the field of English-language journalism. The course covers a range of language-skill areas related to newsgathering, reporting and overall knowledge of journalism.

JOUR International News Laboratory

  • Instructor: Mr Dean COX
  • The laboratory course provides hands-on experience producing and processing international news. Under supervision, students locate, research, report, edit and upload stories of international interest for the HKBU International News website.

Some suggested websites to browse especially the headline news:

Notes for exams

  • Preciseness counts. Make sure to follow the exact instructions of any assignment.
  • Try to answer the assignments by indicating somehow that the student has learned something from the reference books.
  • Be up dated about at least the headlines around the world.
  • Must remember the trend of the theories relating to media and communications.
  • Try to write extra stories in the blog assigned by the teachers.
  • Try to build up sources relating to NGOs, different types of business, individuals.
  • This will help to find stories easily at many times needed. For example, at places where Hinrich Foundation holds bazaars, there are many NGOs participating.

Preparation before coming to study MAIJS in Hong Kong

  • Try to grasp the basic of establishing one’s own blog.
  • Basic photography technique.

Have a glance on some literary review of theories relating to the media.

Living in Hong Kong Baptist University – Housing, shopping and other establishments

NTT International House

Graduate students are housed in NTT international house. You will share a room (and bathroom) with a fellow student.

Free Facilities Services

  • Private bathroom in each room with shower closet
  • Individually controlled air-conditioner with heating function.
  • Satellite television
  • Refrigerator
  • Electric kettle
  • Furniture and bedding
  • Local call
  • 24-hour hot/cold water and electricity supply
  • Basic cleaning
  • Mailbox

Contacts and Further Information for the NTT International House

  • Email:
  • Phone: 3411-2035
  • Address: 32 Renfrew Road, Kowloon Tong, Kowloon, Hong Kong

Hong Kong Identity Card

If you will be in Hong Kong more than 6 months, you need to obtain a HKID card. However, you must always have photo identification (e.g. your travel documents) with you at all times.


There are 2 mini banks on campus – Hang Seng Bank n Ho Sin Hang campus and the Bank of Eat Asia on the Baptist University Road Campus. Automated teller machines (ATM’s) are also available near the entrance of the library.

If you wish to open a bank account with either one of the banks, you will be asked to provide these following documents

  • Travel documents (e.g. passport)
  • HKBU admission letter;
  • Proof of residential address in Hong Kong – You may obtain a letter from NTT International House where you are living

Noted: Normally the process will take 2 weeks to 1 month so please bring enough money to spend during the 1st month when waiting for stipend and bank account opened.


Virtually, all buildings and places are air-conditioned but few have heating. Local dress ranges from smart casual to conservative business suits.

In the summer, cool and loose-fitting clothing is recommended for outdoor wear.

During winter, warm cloth is needed because most of the buildings do not have centre heating.

Since Hong Kong is still humid during winter months, 10 degree C in Hong Kong feels much colder because of the wind and humidity.

In Hong Kong, as a general rule, it is not preferred for students to wear too casually (e.g. flip flops) for official ceremonies or events.

Shopping Centres Nearby

There are two large shopping centres within 15-mintue walk from the campus

You will find it very convenient to purchase your personal items/foods/ snacks at these locations.


The vast majority of shops are open every day. Generally, shops are open from 10:00 a.m. to 9 p.m. But there are exceptions. Stores in busy retail areas like Causeway Bay and Tsim Sha Tsui stay open even later, perharp until 9:30 p.m. Those in Central, meanwhile, usually close at 7:00 p.m.


There are three major canteens and three different kind restaurants in Hong Kong Baptist University. However, the students just always enjoy their meals in the following places. They are Hall Canteen, To Yuen Taiwanese Restaurant, New campus Canteen, Renfrew Chinese Restaurant. Here we have done some evaluations to above food shops.

Hall canteen

It is believe that it is the most familiar restaurant for the students. It is because it is the nearest restaurant from SCE (school of continuous education) space is big enough to supply seat for students. Students can discuss projects, have their lunch break and finish class at the canteen.

The food in there is quiet good; it is well-known and be the best compare with other canteens in HKBU. The special foods in there include BBQ Pork rice, Western sandwiches and fried rice and noodles. On the other hand, the set breakfast and teatime set is the most popular in there.

The environment is great and comfortable; the lighting design is very modern. It looks very clean and soft. Many people like enjoy their meal there.

New Campus Canteen

Located in new campus. New canteen is the smallest canteen in HKBU. The food is just fine, but the price is the cheapest in HKBU. Also, breakfast set and tea set is the quite good, and the sandwiches are as good as Chinese restaurant.

The environment is not good, because most students said there look dirty and not tiny. The seat is not enough and it is very noisy. Also, the drink is not good in there.

To Yuen Taiwanese Restaurant

Located near NTT House, this canteen is selling mostly Taiwanese foods. The famous dish is chicken wing ramen noodle.

Renfrew Chinese Restaurant:

Located on 2nd floor of Wing Lung Bank Business Building (WLB). It has a great dim sum and hot pot. Students will get 20% discount. People don’t speak English there so bring your Chinese friends.

Lok Fu Plaza (10mn walk from HKBU, NTT)

Lok Fu Plaza has become a major shopping destination in central Kowloon for shoppers of all ages and interests.

Kowloon Wet Market (20mn walk from HKBU, NTT)

Where you can find almost every fresh food in local market. It is relatively cheaper than the supermarket (UNY, PARKNSHOP,etc).

Meals on Campus

HKBU doesn’t operate any meal plan, mandatory or optional. Students can dine where they want, on or off campus. There are several canteens on campus. The most convenient is student hall canteen. Students get 20% discount, ranges from HK$20 up.

List of Restaurants on Campus

  • BU Festa: Undergraduate Halls, Baptist University Road Campus.
  • Deli: 1/F, Communication & Visual Arts Building
  • Pacific Coffee: Level 1, Jockey Club Academic Community Center, Baptist Road Campus
  • Renfrew Student Canteen: Level 1, DLB building, Shaw Campus
  • Renfrew Seafood Restaurant: Level 2, DLB building, Shaw Campus
  • Student Canteen: Level 4, Sir Run Run Shaw Buiding, Ho Sin Hang Campus
  • Wonderland: Ground Floor, NTT International House, Baptist Road

Transportation – How to get around


Most convenient transportation in Hong Kong is MTR ( Mass Transit Railway). It is cheap for students. When you arrive, you will apply for student card with 50 percent discount for your travel.

Public transport in Hong Kong

  • No. 25M (HK$4.90) runs between Kowloon Tong (Suffolk Road) Public Transport Interchange and Tung Tau Estate (Tung Lung Road).If the green mini-buses depart from the Kowloon Tong (Suffolk Road) Public Transport Interchange, they stop at Suffolk Road, Norfolk Road, Waterloo Road, Hereford Road, Renfrew Road, La Salle Road, Carpenter Road, and the last stop is Tung Tau Estate (Tung Lung Road).If the green mini-buses depart from Tung Tau Estate (Tung Lung Road), they stop at Tung Kwong Road, Nga Tsin Wai Road, Carpenter Road, Junction Road, Price Edward Road West, Renfrew Road, and the last stop is the Kowloon Tong (Suffolk Road) Public Transport Interchange.
  • Green Mini-Buses
    The green mini-buses run circular routes. The following mini-buses provide service from the University to Kowloon Tong or to Kowloon City. Passengers must tender exact fares. They accept cash and the Octopus card.
  • Public Light Buses (Green mini buses, red mini buses)
    Most mini-buses accept the Octopus card.
  • No. 72 (HK$5.50) runs between Green View Garden and Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus.If the green mini-buses depart from Green View Garden, they stop at Fung Tak Road (Fung Tak Estate), Wong Tai Shi Road (Wong Tai Sin Temple), Nga Chuk Street (Chuk Yuen South Estate), Chuk Yuen Road (Tin Wang Court), Junction Road (Hong Kong Baptist University), Cornwall Street, and the last stop is Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus (Kowloon Wong KCR Station).If the green mini-buses depart from Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus (Kowloon Tong KCR Station), they stop at Tat Chee Avenue (City University of Hong Kong), Cornwall Street, Junction Road (Hong Kong Baptist University), Chuk Yuen Road (Chuk Yuen Estate), Wong Tai Sin Road (Wong Tai Sin Temple), Fung Tak Road (Fung Tak Estate), and the last stop is Grand View Garden.
  • No. 73 (HK$5.50) runs between Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus (Kowloon Tong KCR Station) and Tsz Wan Shan Centre.If the green mini-buses depart from Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus (Kowloon Tong KCR Station), they stop at Tat Chee Avenue (City University of Hong Kong), Cornwall Street, Junction Road (Hong Kong Baptist University), Chuk Yuen Road (Chuk Yuen Estate), Tsz Wan Shan Road, Wai Wah Street, and the last stop is Tsz Wan Shan Centre.If the green mini-buses depart from Tsz Wan Shan Centre, they stop at Wai Wah Street, Tsz Wan Sha Road, Shatin Pass Road, Chuk Yuen Road (Tin Wang Court), Junction Road (Hong Kong Baptist University), Cornwall Street, and the last stop is Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus (Kowloon Tong KCR Station).
  • Red Mini-Buses
    Red Mini-Buses are free to operate anywhere, except where special prohibitions apply, without control over routes or fares. They have no designated stops and stop anywhere anytime someone wants to get on or off. Most mini-buses accept the Octopus card. If you want to take the red mini-buses, you need to know the area and it helps to be able to speak the Cantonese phrase – "ng goi, yau lohk”, which means you want to get off.

Some websites relating to public buses

Trains (East Rail Line)

Trains on the East Rail Line provide service from the heart of the city to the New Territories or Mainland boundary at "Lo Wu” or "Lok Ma Chau” for Shenzhen and Guangzhou, Beijing or Shanghai.

Octopus Cards

You can use the Octopus card (stored-value pass) to pay the fare on the Mass Transit Railway (MTR) and most of the buses and mini-buses.

Students can enjoy concessionary fares; students must travel by a Personalized Octopus Card with "Student Status". Details can be seen at the following website, click here.

Octopus cards can also be used at some selected convenience stores, fast food chains, supermarkets and bakeries.

Activities – On-campus clubs and international travel

For more activities, visit here.

  • Clubs: Hiking, photography, dancing, martial arts,etc
  • Global Café where you can meet exchange and international students in Pacific Coffee
  • Conrad Hotel Bazaars and other bazaars with Hinrich Foundation Scholars
  • Others: Media Salons, Reception,etc.

Travelling outside Hong Kong

If you are planning to travel outside Hong Kong during holidays, please notice the people who are responsible and your friends, such as your travel itinerary and contact details,etc.

It is not recommended that you travel when classes are in section, since class attendance is required and expected.

Extra passport photos

It is recommended that you bring with you 4-6 extra passport photos. You will need these for various travel documents from time to time.

If you don’t have them, you can make them after you arrive Hong Kong. Automatic passport photo booths appear in many MTR stations (e.g. Prince Edward, MongKok) or Fotomax at the Lok Fu Plaza (Shop No. 1162A, 1/F.)

Travelling to China

International students who are travelling into Mainland China (PRC) must obtain a tourist visa prior to departure.

For Vietnamese passport holders, if it is the first time you travel to China, you need to apply your visa at Chinese Embassy at your home country.

Chinese Embassies


  • 7th Floor, Lower Block, ChinaResourcesBuilding,
  • No.26, Harbor Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong SAR

Office Hours

  • Monday to Friday (except Hong Kongpublic holidays,)
  • 9:00-12:00 & 14:00-17:00

Enquiry Service

  • Tel- Enquiry : 24 hour Recorded Visa Information Service: 852-34132300
  • Live Answering Telephone: 852-34132424 (available at 10:00-11:00am, 3:00-4:00pm on workdays)
  • Fax: 852-34132312
  • Email:
  • Website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the P.R.China, visit here.

What not to bring?

When travelling to China, do take note that prohibited items including milk powders, printed matters, films, photos, gramophone records, cinematographic films, loaded recording tapes/video tapes, CDs, and articles which deemed are detrimental to the political, economic, cultural, and moral interest of China.

Emergency numbers and contacts


Judith Clark


  • Fire, ambulance, Police: 999
  • Dental Clinic: 3411-2525
  • Medical Clinic: 3411-7447
  • Chinese Medicine Specialty Clinic 3411-2968


For Graudate students:
NTT International House
Room Number (Insert Room number as assigned)
Hong Kong Baptist University
32 Refrew Road
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Hong Kong




more Calendar

Export Manager Advanced Training Program - Ho Chi Minh city - July 2018

Export Manager Advanced Training Program - Manila - July 2018

Featured Members
Alexander P. WardHinrich Foundation's 2015-2016 Princeton in Asia Fellow

Association Management Software  ::  Legal